- Knowing and understanding California’s complex employment laws is essential to avoiding time consuming litigation and costly settlements. For years, I was a successful plaintiff’s attorney that represented employees only. During that time, I learned how to prevail in all types of claims against employers. I also discovered how much California’s employment law favor the employees, not employers. This unique perspective and knowledge gives me the advantage when defending employers against claims by employees. As a defense attorney, I understand employment law from the view of both the employee and the employer and how to best protect you. I provide guidance for my clients in the following areas:
- Establishing pre-employment compliance and effective hiring techniques
- Drafting and reviewing Employee handbooks and personnel policies
- Managing leaves of absence for pregnant and disabled employees
- Maintaining privacy, security, and confidentiality in the workplace
- Legal Advice regarding compensation (salaries, overtime pay, benefits, meal and rest breaks, etc.) and employee classifications
- Creating and implementing performance evaluations
- Properly using independent contractor classifications
- Handling all phases of employee discipline including termination
- Assisting with noncompetition agreements and restrictive covenants
- Effective records management and retention
- I excel at defending employers in state court and before government agencies including the California Labor Commissioner and the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). My practice is focused on the following areas:
- Exempt/Non-Exempt employee and independent contractor classifications
- Employee privacy issues
- Violations of the California Labor Code, FEHA, and other statutory violations
- Employment contract disputes
- Restrictions against competition and solicitation
- Interference with employment relationships and other unfair business practices
- Overtime, double time, and minimum wage
- Meal and rest breaks
- Sexual harassment
- Discrimination based on protected classifications
- Whisteblower and other protected activity
- My clients find it very helpful when I take a close look at all aspects of their human resources activities. I review existing policies, procedures, employment classifications, and compensation structures. I also protect my clients against any compliance issues and recommend the best course of action to reduce or eliminate their liability. My legal advice pays for itself in funds saved from costly litigation and settlements.
- I offer extensive training in employment law for you and your management team, which is critical for maintaining compliance and avoiding costly litigation. Many times training deficiencies become clear after it is too late and litigation has begun. My goal is to protect my clients from litigation by offering effective training programs designed specifically for their business needs and employees.
Availability for my clients
- Unlike many firms whose attorneys are hard to reach or unavailable, I am always available to my clients and get back to them either the same day or early the following day. All of my clients have my mobile phone number and direct access to me at all times.
Zane Becker is one of the most diligent individuals in the legal profession. His drive, commitment, professionalism, and dedication are unparalleled. He is never one to shy away from going the extra mile to protect and fight for his clients, all while showing the highest professionalism and virtue. I look forward to working with Zane again in the future.